A regular routine of carpet cleaning is not just done for the sole concept of the word ‘cleaning’. It is more important to maintain the health of your house, as well as of all the people living in it. Carpets are a good place for bacteria and germs to grow, for allergens, dirt, as well as pet dander to hide. There are some homeowners who wait until the surface of the carpet starts to look dirty before they clean it. However, it is most recommended to set a regular schedule, not just for basic cleaning, but also to disinfect carpet.
Here are 5 effective ways to disinfect your carpets at home:
1. Regular cleaning of your carpet should be done. This means vacuuming your carpets at home at least once a week. If your carpet is located in an area where a lot of people pass by (heavy traffic locations), then you may need to do cleaning more than once a week. Keep in mind that the failure of vacuuming regularly can tend to diminish the life of your home carpet. Build up of dirt should be cleaned right away since it has the tendency to damage the fibres of the carpet. Hard to reach carpet areas should be thoroughly cleaned every two weeks.
2. Take your time when vacuuming. If you are in a hurry to disinfect carpet, you may not be able to remove stubborn dirt deeply embedded to it. To do this, you need to go over each part of the carpet a lot of times. Try different patterns and strokes in cleaning. This is a good move to remove all dirt in all areas, even the hard to reach ones.
3. In order to easily remove dirt without having to spend all your energy for the process, you may sprinkle baking soda all over your carpet. You may also use a deodorizing product and apply it on the carpet at least 15 minutes before you start carpet cleaning. This procedure is known to make the process of cleaning easier, as well as removes unlikely smell from the carpet.
4. If there are stains on some parts of the carpet, you may need to treat them right away as soon as they appear on the carpet. This is because prolonged exposure may dry the stain and will make it even difficult for you to remove it. However, keep in mind that you need to do a spot test to make sure that the color of all the other parts are not affected.
5. Should you need to use soil retardants especially on new carpets, take time to review the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning. Usually, professional equipment is recommended for use, as well as certain application techniques should be employed, or else, the material might be compromised.
Cleaning your carpet is not an extremely challenging task. As long as it is handled promptly, you can take care of the quality of your carpet, making sure that its life is extended to the maximum.