Carpet is available in many styles, textures, designs and construction, and it is a great choice to be used as floor coverings for homes. It can be used throughout your house and it will give a desirable look to your home, and will make it a cozy place to live in. When it is well maintained, it may last for years.
There are pros and cons in using carpet in your home.
* Carpets can maintain the temperature of a room and they will definitely help to bring down your power bill, because carpets act as very good insulators. They prevent heat and cold to radiate up from the floor.
* It is nice to step down on a warm and soft carpet on a cold morning. It is safe for the kids to play on a carpeted floor instead of cold hardwood floors.
* Carpets provide sound insulation; they cut down the echo effect and keep sound isolated into specific rooms.
* Carpets are available in many colors and designs, and they can make your home alive. They are decorative, add warmth and color, and a wonderful touch to your home. They also add style and class. A bare room can be transformed into a warm looking, welcoming area.
* Today, washable carpets are available for the kitchen. It is a good option to add some décor to your kitchen.
* Regular vacuuming can keep the carpet clean and since most of the carpets are manufactured with stain resistant treatment, spills do not enter into the carpet. You can clean the spills easily.
* Carpets attract dust and dirt, and also bugs and germs. The elderly and children may be negatively impacted by the pests that make carpets their home. These problems become severe if the carpets are very old or if they have not been cleaned thoroughly.
* They are expensive and harder to clean. It is hard to clean-up the spills and stains.
* Carpets can aggravate the respiratory disease of a house hold member. For people suffering from respiratory conditions, it is better to remove the carpet at least from their bedroom.
* For households with pets, especially cats, carpets are a nightmare. When your stains the carpet, you may find it very hard to remove the stains and the smell. Cats also use carpet to sharpen their claws, thus tearing the carpet.
* Ticks, fleas and pests can go from your pets to the carpet and then back again to your pet. This gives a chance to the pests to get into your hair, clothes and furnishings.
* It is not good to use carpet in bathrooms, as the steam from the showers and moisture may help in the growth of molds in the carpet. People suffering from asthma may become very sick by the exposure to these molds.
Carpet gives you both, advantages and disadvantages, so it is better to carpet your home in the right way. It can make your home look warm and can also enhance the beauty of your home. However, you should also consider the effects of pests and pets, and how it may affect the health of the people residing in your home.